Founded by a team of researchers from Harvard University, i2O Therapeutics is developing a platform to enable oral delivery of traditionally injectable biological drugs, such as peptides and proteins.
The company’s platform enables drugs that traditionally would not survive the hostile environment of the digestive system to pass through safely by utilizing a unique coating that dissolves in the small intestine, thereby releasing the active drug. i2O’s initial focus is on developing a novel oral formulation for GLP-1 analogs for the treatment of type 2 diabetes.
The technology is based on encapsulating complex drugs with an ionic liquid. The company says that by choosing the right ions it is possible to control the properties, so they can be made more viscous, less viscous, more tissue penetrating, or inert. It has been shown in the lab that a variety of drugs can be delivered, including peptides, small molecules, and antibodies.
As well as diabetes, primary indications are likely to include autoimmune diseases and oncology.
The company’s technology has the potential to enable the oral delivery of high-value drugs in a safer, more effective and patient-friendly way and also by easing the treatment burden for dozens of therapeutics that were previously restricted to intravenous or subcutaneous delivery.
Subscribe for alerts on new companies featured on Startups.Bio
- MoonLake ImmunotherapeuticsMoonLake Immunotherapeutics is a Swiss biopharmaceutical company leveraging single-domain antibody (Nanobody®) technology […]
- ResBioticResBiotic is developing microbiome-based products to help reduce inflammation in chronic lung […]
- Alchemab TherapeuticsAlchemab identifies naturally occurring protective antibodies that counter complex diseases, such as […]
- Wild BiotechIsrael-based Wild Biotech is mining wild animal microbiomes for the discovery of […]
- MUVON TherapeuticsMUVON Therapeutics is spin-off from the University of Zurich developing an autologous […]
- Chimerna TherapeuticsFounded in 2020, Chimerna Therapeutics has developed a platform for generating circular […]