Clarametyx Biosciences is targeting a universal structure within biofilms in order to eliminate bacterial defenses and drastically increase their vulnerability to immune or antibiotic intervention.
Founded n 2020, Clarametyx is focused on addressing the challenge of biofilm-associated infections. These infections are often resistant to immune response or standard antibiotic regimens due to an extracellular matrix in the biofilm that protects the bacteria, contributing to persistent, harmful inflammatory responses, as well as extended duration and severity of disease. The Clarametyx platform is designed to precisely remove a universal, pathogen-agnostic target within this matrix, rapidly and effectively collapsing the protective shield and sensitizing bacteria to immune and antibiotic attack.
The platform has the potential to generate a pipeline of therapeutics and vaccines that both enhance the activity of the body’s innate immune system and sensitize a wide range of Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacterial pathogens to the action of first-line and other antibiotics.
The company’s lead candidate, CMTX-101, is an immune-enabling antibody therapy with broad-spectrum activity for the treatment of moderate-to-severe pneumonia through co-administration with standard antibiotic regimens to improve patient response to therapy. The company says moderate-to-severe pneumonia causes more than 500,000 hospitalizations annually in the U.S., with high fatality rates.
In late 2020 the company announced that it had been awarded up to $14.2 million to advance its novel technology platform through the completion of a Phase 1 clinical study. The funding comes from CARB-X (Combating Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria Biopharmaceutical Accelerator), a global non-profit partnership dedicated to accelerating antibacterial research and development.
- MoonLake ImmunotherapeuticsMoonLake Immunotherapeutics is a Swiss biopharmaceutical company leveraging single-domain antibody (Nanobody®) technology […]
- ResBioticResBiotic is developing microbiome-based products to help reduce inflammation in chronic lung […]
- Alchemab TherapeuticsAlchemab identifies naturally occurring protective antibodies that counter complex diseases, such as […]
- Wild BiotechIsrael-based Wild Biotech is mining wild animal microbiomes for the discovery of […]
- MUVON TherapeuticsMUVON Therapeutics is spin-off from the University of Zurich developing an autologous […]
- Chimerna TherapeuticsFounded in 2020, Chimerna Therapeutics has developed a platform for generating circular […]